Sunday, October 30, 2011

The McGarrigle/Wainwright Saga

Pardon me if I'm dominating the blog.

Structural idea for the "Concerts" section: a series of solos / duets / group songs that seem to speak to each other -- different songs from different points of view about the same love(s). Inspiration: The McGarrigle/Wainwright clan.

I actually can't decide if I like this for Concerts or not. Might be too insular. But here it is. By the way there are about five million songs I could post about them -- but I will pare it down to THREE which is VERY DIFFICULT.

Kate McGarrigle's "Go Leave" which I mentioned in another post but here it is again, this is her performing it in 1984:


(Kate's sister Anna also wrote the gorgeous song "Kitty Come Home" which I wish I could find live... I put it in the Dropbox if anyone wants to listen, it's so lovely.)

Moving on... Loudon Wainwright's "Father and a Son" plus "Rufus is a Tit Man" -- performed in 1998:

(by the way, to hear Rufus' perspective, listen to "Dinner at Eight": " why is it so, that I've always been the one who must go, that I've always been the one told to flee, when in fact you were the one long ago actually in drifting white snow who left me...")

Martha Wainwright's "Bloody Motherfucking Asshole" -- this version isn't the greatest audio wise but it features some audio difficulties and someone shouting out a request, wondrous cliches:


(There's also this song Father/Daughter Dialogue... but I can't find them singing it live.)

OKAY I can't narrow it down to just three! Last one: this clip of Rufus, Loudon, Martha and Lucy Wainwright Roche singing Rufus' song "Poses" -- I think in 2011? It's so beautiful, and Martha looks just like a young Kate. Heartbreaking. 


(Or you can watch this one, with Martha singing backup with her baby son. NOW I'LL STOP.)

No comments:

Post a Comment