Thursday, September 22, 2011

Linda Thompson

Heard an interview with Linda Thompson yesterday on Radiolab (oh, Radiolab... someday we'll skip the middle man and just make a show about Radiolab).

I had been vaguely aware of Linda Thompson and her role along with her husband, Richard, in the Fairport Convention. I guess I knew they'd been married then divorced.

But I didn't know the full saga which is amazing:

They met when she sang on his first album. 
They got married. 
They made more albums together -- he wrote songs and played guitar, she sang. 
Richard got into Sufism and decided to give up music and join a Sufi cult. 
They lived with them for three years (Linda wasn't as into it as Richard was) and had two children. 
Then they decided to get back into music, and recorded one more album. 
Linda became pregnant with their third child. 
Richard left her for the woman organizing his solo American tour (right after Linda gave birth).

Now here is the part that I find fascinating: they were signed on to do a tour to promote their album, and Richard and their manager felt they should back out, but Linda insisted on doing it. So they went on tour together, and she sang the songs he had written about their difficult marriage and impending breakup. Strangely, it was the only time in her career that she's had no trouble singing. And despite the incredible tension between them, she had a great time on tour.

Anyway. I find that very interesting. Also, I looked her up on youtube and she is a fabulous singer, and these are some INTENSE love songs, man!

Here's them singing "A Heart Needs a Home" just before their breakup:


Here's "Walking on a Wire" from their tour -- the video's not that good but you can see the intense dynamic, not to mention, check out these lyrics:
I hand you my ball and chain
You just hand me that same old refrain
I'm walking on a wire, I'm walking on a wire
And I'm falling

And here is them singing "Dimming of the Day" also from the last tour. Oddly enough, this is my parents' favorite song to sing together. I thought it was an old Scottish folk song but it turns out Richard Thompson wrote it.

This old house is falling down around my ears
I'm drowning in the river of my tears
When all my will is gone you hold me sway
I need you at the dimming of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment